It's About Pets
ER

Print this page
E-mail this page


Raisins and Grapes Can Be Toxic To Dogs

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center continues to caution dog owners that raisins and grapes may be toxic to some dogs. From April 2003 to April 2004, the Center managed 140 cases, each involving one or more dogs that ingested varying amounts of raisins or grapes. Of these cases, over 50 animals developed clinical signs ranging from vomiting to life-threatening kidney failure, and seven dogs died.

Much is still yet to be discovered about the toxic principle associated with grape and raisin ingestions, as well as the exact mechanism leading to kidney damage in some dogs. It is also not clear if only canines are susceptible to developing a toxicosis, and additionally if only certain dogs are affected, or if chronic, long-term ingestions can lead to the same effects as large, acute, or single ingestions. As there are still many unknowns with the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises not giving grapes or raisins to pets in any amount.

Call your veterinarian if you have a pet that has ingested grapes or raisins or you suspect may be experiencing problems.