Phil Boerner: 916-649-0599 (California Veterinary Medical Association)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
’Tis the Season…Pet Safety During Holidays
Take Precautions to Keep Pets Away From Candy and Tree Lights
Sacramento – Between now and New Year’s, the holiday season brings an abundance of family, friends, food, and festivities to many households. But amidst the merriment, it can be a potentially hazardous season for pets. In the spirit of the season, California veterinarians remind pet owners to be extra cautious so the holidays don’t send their pooch or kitty to the animal hospital's emergency room.
“The holidays can be a vulnerable time for our furry friends,” said Chris Cowing, DVM, president of the California Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA). “Above all, we want you and your pets to enjoy a healthy, happy holiday season.”
To ensure your pet’s holidays are safe and carefree, the CVMA offers a few safety tips to keep in mind:
1) Keep all sweets away from pets. Chocolate, in particular, contains theobromine, a caffeine-like ingredient that can be potentially lethal to dogs. Gobbling up too much chocolate can result in vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and in severe cases, death. Do not place gifts of chocolate under your tree or on a tabletop where an inquisitive pooch might find them enticing.
2) Keep wrapped candy away from pets. Small candies can cause choking, and the crinkly cellophane or aluminum wrappers can lead to stomach obstructions, if swallowed.
3) Avoid tying yarn or ribbon around your pet’s neck. If you want to dress him/her up for the holidays, buy a festive, seasonal collar.
4) Holiday plants—particularly poinsettias, mistletoe, holly, and amaryllis—can be toxic to pets. Keep them out of your dog or cat’s reach.
5) Feed your pet nutritious snacks rather than “treating” them to high-calorie holiday foods. Our pets can put on extra pounds as quickly as we do during the holidays! Also, keep plenty of fresh water available for drinking. Pets should not be allowed to drink Christmas tree water, as it may contain pesticides or bacteria from the tree.
6) Keep a careful eye on holiday decorations. All the extra cords for lighting can be tempting targets for chewing by pets. If possible, hide or tape them to the floor to prevent shocks or electrocution. Styrofoam decorations that look like candy or berries can be appealing to puppies, but can cause distressing consequences if chewed and swallowed.
7) Christmas trees can become climbing posts, particularly for new kittens. Be sure your tree is secure and stable; consider anchoring it to the wall with fishing line, if necessary. To avoid pets shattering glass ornaments, hang breakable ornaments higher up on the tree. Loose tinsel is especially dangerous for cats, who consider it a play toy, but swallowing the metallic string can cause severe intestinal distress and damage.