CVMA ACTION ALERT
Walmart Targets Veterinary Medicine
September 29, 2011
The CVMA is again asking for your assistance in telling Congress to oppose H.R. 1406 – The Fairness to Pet Owners Act of 2011. This is in direct response to a recent Walmart campaign encouraging their customers to write letters in support of mandatory prescription writing by veterinarians.
This federal legislation would impose new stipulations on veterinary prescriptions that would affect all veterinarians in the country.
H.R. 1406 would require a prescriber to:
- provide a written prescription at the time of prescribing whether or not the medication will be dispensed to the client;
- provide a written disclosure that the client may fill prescriptions at the veterinary clinic or at an off-site pharmacy; and
- verify a prescription electronically or by other means consistent with applicable state law.
H.R. 1406 would prohibit a prescriber from:
- requiring payment in addition to, or as part of, the fee for an examination and evaluation as a condition of providing a copy of or verifying a prescription; and
- requiring the pet owner to sign a waiver or disclaim liability for the accuracy of the veterinary prescription.
We encourage all CVMA members to contact their congress member regarding this critical issue.
The bill has recently been referred to the Federal House Committee on Energy and Commerce, Health subcommittee. It is of particular importance that the members of this subcommittee be contacted since the bill must pass out of this subcommittee before it can go further in the legislative process. If you live in the following districts please contact your representative and ask that they oppose this legislation: Reps. Mary Bono Mack (CA-45) (Palm Springs area), Brian Bilbray (CA-50) (Escondido/ Carlsbad area), Henry Waxman (CA-30) (Santa Monica/ Malibu/ W. Los Angeles), Anna Eshoo (CA-14) (Palo Alto area), Lois Capps (CA-23) (Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, SLO), and Doris Matsui (CA-5)(Sacramento area). Your influence and participation is critical to the defeat of this bill.
You may visit the AVMA Action Alert for information on key opposition points and contact information for your Congressional Representative – http://capwiz.com/avma/callalert/index.tt?alertid=44262536.
Thank you and we appreciate your assistance in this important matter.